The Mindfulness Center of Atlanta (MCA) was founded by Mark Dannenfelser in 2009. Its mission is to increase the well-being and healing of those experiencing stress and psychological distress, as well as to increase optimal functioning in the areas of healthcare, education and work, using evidence-based, integrative, mind-body practices, offered through training courses, intensive retreats, introductory workshops and counseling.
What is Mindfulness?
“The best way to capture moments is to pay attention. This is how we cultivate mindfulness. Mindfulness means being awake. It means knowing what you are doing.” ~Jon Kabat-Zinn
“Mindfulness is simply being aware of what is happening right now without wishing it were different; enjoying the pleasant without holding on when it changes (which it will); being with the unpleasant without fearing it will always be this way (which it won’t).” ~James Baraz
The practice of mindfulness helps train and refine the mind and body to become more stable and insightful, thereby increasing optimal functioning. It integrates various sciences, including medicine, and psychology with the core of the world’s meditative and wisdom traditions.
Mindfulness is a universal tool for cultivating self-understanding and healing and is not dependent on any particular belief system or ideology.
Benefits of Mindfulness Training
- Increase your ability to cope with stress, pain and other health conditions
- Increase positive emotional states, improving your relationship with yourself and others
- Positively impact cognitive functioning, improving your memory, reaction time and mental stamina
- Boost your immune system to help fight off colds, flu and other diseases
- Decrease anxiety, depression and irritability
While mindfulness is not meant to replace other medical interventions and therapies, it may greatly enhance them.